- What is VoIP?
VoIP stands for ‘Voice over Internet Protocol’. It is the technology for transmitting conversations via the internet using your computer instead of your regular phone line. By using VoIP you can avoid the costs incurred of dialing a number from your telephone.
Mand8.com users can access Mand8 Phone Chat via our very own VoIP service. It's simple to use, the connection is free and you ‘pay’ with your accrued or purchased Wallet Points. This method of connecting to the Mand8 chatline works out far cheaper than dialing the usual 08 or 09 gay chat access numbers!
Premium members use the VoIP service for free. Basic members are charged 5 Wallet Points per minute.
- What kind of equipment do I need to use the VoIP service?
You will need the following to use the VoIP service
• A computer
• High speed Internet connection (Broadband)
• USB headset with microphone or a VoIP handset.
- What charges are involved in using VoIP to access Mand8 Phone Chat?
Basic members can access ManD8 Phone Chat using our VoIP console for just 5 Wallet Points per minute! (Premium members access for free!). This works out cheaper than dialing the regular phone chat number. To find out more about Wallet Points and how they can save you money please see Wallet Points FAQs.
- How do I start using VoIP?
After logging into the website and navigating to the Phone Chat page you will be prompted to install the java component necessary to use VoIP chat. Once installed follow the simple instructions next to the VoIP Console.
- I can see the green connected button but I hear no audio prompts?
Check that your volume settings and headset are adjusted to the correct levels. You can try this by playing any music file and ensuring you can hear it clearly.
- What can I do to improve the Audio Quality?
- If you have lots of applications open on your PC, there may not be enough CPU power available for Mand8 Connect to run properly. Try closing some applications down, especially any large applications.
Quality can also be improved by closing other internet or file-sharing software that may be running on your PC. If you are downloading large files (such as photos or videos) the audio quality you hear will be reduced.
Finally, it can help to make sure all your PC's drivers are up-to-date, especially for your audio equipment. Check the website of your hardware supplier for more details.
- How do I adjust my Microphone volume?
- If other callers mention your messages are faint or low volume, then try listening back to a message after you've recorded it by pressing option 2. If it sounds faint then check your Microphone settings as by opening Control Panel and selecting Sounds and Multimedia.
Then on the Volume Control adjust Microphone level to its maximum.
You may also have a control button on your headset to adjust the microphone volume.
- Which VoIP Headsets do you recommend?
Plantronics DSP400 £25-£30 Rating: 4 stars
A Mid-Range USB Headset which offered good audio quality and a very good microphone. The boom microphone was extendible and flexible ensuring it sits close to the mouth. This headset can be folded for neater storage. The In-Line control unit allows easy volume control and also an illuminated mute button.
Pros: Flexible positioning of boom microphone, In-Line Volume control and Mute button
Cons: Folding design could be a weakness, fairly large control unit
Plantronics Audio 320 £8-£12 Rating: 3 stars
A budget headset (not USB) that offered good all-round performance. This headset has an extendible/flexible microphone boom to allow good positioning of the microphone close to the mouth. However, the sensitivity of the microphone isn't great with the recorded volume often difficult to hear.
Pros: Value for Money
Cons: Microphone sensitivity
Logitech Stereo USB 250 £22-£28 Rating: 3 stars
Solidly built USB Headset with exceptionally comfor`help` ear pads and good audio output quality. While the position of the microphone boom could be adjusted slightly, it does not reach the mouth of any but the smallest of users. Because of the distance between the microphone and mouth it is often difficult to record good quality audio.
Pros: Very comfor`help` ear pads, good audio output
Cons: Microphone boom length too short to comfortably sit near mouth resulting in poor audio input
- Can I dial ordinary numbers (or 999) via the Mand8 VoIP console?
- No. The console can only be used to connect to Mand8 phone chat and the keypad will only allow you to select Mand8 phone chat menu options.
- I cannot find an answer to my question
- If you cannot find an answer to your question in the FAQs you can log in to the ‘Need Help?’ room (log in to chat, click on ‘view roomlist’ and select/join the ‘Need Help?’ room). A Moderator will soon join you in the room and will be happy to answer any questions regarding the site.
Alternatively, you can email us via the 'contact us' link or via email@example.com Please be sure to include your mand8 username and any registration details appropriate to your enquiry.